Materials Scientist - Postdoc, European Spallation Source ERIC
The Machine Directorate at the European Spallation Source (ESS) in Lund, Sweden, invites applications for a Postdoc position in Materials Science in the Target Division.
Description of division
The ESS Target Division is part of the ESS Machine Directorate with responsibility to design, develop, procure, install, commission and test the systems needed to convert the energetic proton beam coming from the accelerator to neutron beams that are utilized for experiments. The first step in this process is production of high energy neutrons through a spallation process involving the proton beam interaction with a tungsten target. The fast, high energy neutrons that are released in the spallation process are slowed down to the energies that are suitable for different types of experiments at ESS, and then delivered to the instruments through beam ports. Key features of the target station are the target itself, the neutron moderator and reflector system, and the neutron beam-extraction system.
Description of main responsibilities
- Active participation in post irradiation examination (PIE) of proton beam irradiated beam intercepting materials (BIM), in collaboration with PSI, which requires about total 2 months per year stay at PSI during the project period 2019 - 2021.
- Operation of the equipment in the Materials Lab, which is currently equipped with an SEM
- Active participation in collaborations with engineers and scientists primarily within the Target Division, providing support in materials issues
- Active participation in materials collaboration with external partners
Required qualifications are:
- Ph.D. in engineering, chemistry or physics, or equivalent qualifications
- Academic background in experimental materials science/engineering or solid-state physics/chemistry
- Willingness to work with radioactive nuclear materials
- Excellent communication skills, and will be an effective part of a team with diverse backgrounds and competences
- Team player that can work independently
- Excellent oral and written English skills. Knowledge of German is an advantage
- Willingness to travel for research cooperation
Desired qualifications are:
- Experience in micro-structural analyses: SEM, FIB, TEM, ATP
- Experience in elemental analyses: XRD, EDX
- Experience in mechanical testing: tensile, fatigue, bending, small-punch, charpy tests
- Experience in performing experiments using synchrotron radiation and neutron beamlines
What ESS can offer
ESS can offer you a variety of things, such as passionate colleagues, a vibrant melting pot of diversity, and a challenging and high paced work environment where our employees take great pride in designing and building a world leading facility for materials research.
Duration & Location
The position is a fixed term position for 3 years, with a possibility of being converted to a staff position.
Your work place will be situated in Lund, Sweden. The position is to be filled as soon as possible.
Application & Contact
Please provide your curriculum vitae and cover letter in English by clicking on “apply” and following the instructions. Please note we only accept applications via the ESS website or ESS intranet. Internal candidates are encouraged to apply through the intranet.
This position will be open until filled. NB: Applications will be reviewed continuously, and thus we advise candidates to submit their application as soon as possible.
For more information regarding the ESS recruitment process in general, please follow this link https://europeanspallationsource.se/ess-recruitment-process.
For further information regarding the position, please contact the recruiting manager, Group Leader for Materials Group, Yong Joong Lee, yongjoong.lee[at]esss.se.
For further information regarding the recruitment process, please contact HR Officer, Tina Nilsson, tina.nilsson[at]esss.se.
For trade union information please contact Unionen / Michela Dell'Anno Boulton at +46 46 888 30 72 or SACO / Swedish Association of Graduate Engineers/ Riccardo Bevilacqua +46 46 888 32 28.
We look forward to receiving your application!