2-3 PhD Student Positions in Digital Transformation, Chalmers Tekniska Högskola AB
We invite applications for 2-3 PhD student positions at the Division of Entrepreneurship and Strategy with an expected starting date no later than September 2019.
Description of PhD Student Position
You will join challenging national and international research projects in an open and collaborative working environment. You will also be encouraged to explore your own research trajectory focused on addressing society’s challenges as we strongly believe PhD students are responsible for developing tomorrow’s research agenda.
• Independently pursue your doctoral studies and achieve the milestones within the five-year PhD program
• Participate in research projects with faculty members and independently developed projects
• Publish academic papers with faculty or under faculty supervision aiming at top level journals (ABS3 and ABS4)
• Participate in research grant activities such as proposal development and writing and grant administration
• Build the scientific community by participating in activities at Chalmers, in Swedish society, and at academic conferences
• Teach in the bachelor and master programs or perform other teaching or administrative duties corresponding to 20% of working hours (included in the five-year position)
You have an excellent academic record with a master's level degree from a globally recognized university (by the time of starting the PhD program), preferably in a relevant discipline (industrial engineering and management, computer science, informatics, business administration, economics, psychology, etc.). You have a keen interest in working on interdisciplinary issues at the intersection of business and technology, such as digital transformation at the organizational and societal levels, digitally-enabled circular economies, and the future of work and value creation.
Preference will be given to highly qualified applicants with a particular interest in disruptive technologies, such as artificial intelligence, blockchain, IoT and Industry 4.0, additive manufacturing, and autonomous vehicles. Additional preference will be given to those who are passionate about the ocean and interested in ocean technology.
In terms of skills, you have the following:
• Curiosity and a strong entrepreneurial mindset
• Ability to work very independently as well as in cross-cultural teams
• Very strong analytical and problem-formulation and solving skills
• Excellent oral and written proficiency in English, including the ability to present your work convincingly in oral and written form
• Ideally, good coding skills and knowledge of or a willingness to learn, e.g., C++, Python, R, or develop for Linux
The assessment is based primarily on academic results with special attention paid to the research areas and interests noted above in addition to other relevant experience, e.g., professional experience. Consideration will also be given to the skills noted above and the degree to which the candidate is judged to have the abilities required to successfully complete the PhD program.
1) A university master level degree at the start of the PhD program. All official transcripts for college/university degrees and courses and degree certificates that are not in Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, or English must be submitted together with a translation into English from the issuing institution or a professional translation service. Those candidates who have not yet completed their university studies at the time of applying should send their incomplete academic record. Acceptable transcript formats include scanned copies of paper transcripts produced by the institution, electronic transcripts produced by the institution, and web-based academic records produced by the institution and containing the name of the institution.
2) Oral and written proficiency in English. Unless you are a native English speaker or have undertaken a university study program in English, you must provide evidence of your English proficiency. We prefer that you take the TOEFL test (Test of English as a Foreign Language), but the IELTS test may also be taken. Please report the score to us directly via your test center and upload a copy of it in the application portal. Language test results have a validity of maximum 4 years. There is no minimum score requirement for any of the tests.
3) At least two contacts for recommendation. Your referees should be individuals who are best qualified to evaluate and comment on your potential for PhD study. They may be either academic or professional; however, it is our preference to have academic references representing your field of research interest though we understand that there are situations where this may not be possible. In such circumstances, we encourage you to seek out those persons who can comment on qualities relevant to academic pursuits, particularly research.
Full-time temporary employment limited to five years.
We offer a PhD course curriculum, supervision, shared office, and travel support to academic meetings and conferences. Compensation consists of a monthly salary including social security and tuition waiver.
While the position is at Chalmers University of Technology in Gothenburg, students may also have the opportunity to conduct some of their studies in Stockholm and in the Lisbon area in Portugal through the division's activities as well as at other international locations based upon the student’s research interests.
Deadline: April 1, 2019.